Friday, April 8, 2016

A First World Problem: A Static Gamer

A young gamer once said, "I'll never get bored of games. I love them all and will play for the rest of my life. There is a special kind of enjoyment found only in video gaming. The feeling of triumph over difficult levels, the compelling stories, the wacky characters, the various abilities, and a plethora of catchy tunes and jingles drives me to buy game after game and beat the ones I won dozens of times."

 As a guy in my early twenties, I've been a young gamer for as long as I can remember. At times, an old man would creep up from inside and ask me why I play so often. I could never answer directly as games lured me out of my thoughts. Tonight, the old man has not said a word and I played games for hours to compensate for a burdensome week. I finished with one game and started searching for something else to play.

Without a word I searched. I scanned and scanned only to judge everything as uninteresting. It seems that the amount of unique games is finite. I just don't know what to play anymore. I can only imagine what the young gamer I was back then would say to me now. He'd go, "what happened? why do you own so little games?"

An old man once said, "I don't know how you can play these games all day. There is so much more to life that young gamers lose out on. The feeling of emptiness as hours fly on by, the predictable stories, the pointless characters, the repetitive abilities, and a barrage of repetitive jingles and tunes looping indefinitely."

As a guy in my early twenties, I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember. With my current skill level, games seem to have become entirely too accessible for me. It does not take long for me to grasp a game, understand the concept, and entertain myself. It does not take long for my mind to drift off into another land assessing the game I am playing and saying things like, "this game is just not like the older ones." Dissatisfied  I am with modern gaming, the lonely modern gaming world I live in.

To leave the modern gaming world, I often seek the past gems. I download emulators, and play games from the 90s and 2000s. In the older games, I find a fragment of the gaming happiness I carried for the past two decades. It seems sticking to the realm of retro gaming would be enough for the first few hours. But the entertainment granted by a retro gaming is a fleeting thing. And to this guy, it has already disappeared. The challenges of old seem pathetic and for the new challenges in old gems, I have virtually no patience.

What am I to do? For now complain a little until I can either, transition fully out of being a gamer or reacquire the joy in gaming I once had. As a guy in my early twenties, I feel it is too soon for me to be having this feeling of emptiness in the gaming I loved so dearly. On the other hand, this could be the perfect time to transition out of consistent gaming at home and launch into a frenzy of productivity.

This right here is the definition of a first world problem. A first world problem for a guy in his early twenties finally feeling how static video gaming is and is unable to drop video gaming completely for reasons more complex than he understands. This first world problem would be a perfect start if I were writing a book on developing escapism in children. After all, as an escapist, I understand what it is to use a playful medium to cope with the overly bitter taste of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment